Frequently Asked Questions

Who will pay?
Paying for care is complicated, and everyone’s situation is different. Ideally care would be free regardless of an individual’s needs or financial background. Unfortunately in reality things are a little less straightforward, with funding based on individual’s circumstances. We believe everyone has the right to a high standard of care.

You should always seek advice about your own situation and here are some organisations that offer specialist help:

  • Charities such as Age Concern (0808 808 6060), Help the Aged (0808 800 6565) and Counsel and Care (0845 300 7585)
  • Your local Social Services Department
  • The Department of Work Pensions (0800 99 1234)
  • The Nursing Home Fee’s Agency (0800 99 88 33)
  • Independent financial advisors (Call 0117 971 1177 for the names of local IFAs)
Age Concern (
Information and advice for older people, their relatives and anyone else interested, in the issues.
Tel: 0800 00 99 66
Alzheimer's Society (
Works to improve the quality of life of people affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Tel: 0845 300 0336
Care Aware (
Advice on issues relating to long-term care for older people.
Tel: 0161 707 1107
Care Quality Commission (
The independent regulator of Health and Social Care, in England.
Tel: 03000 616161
Citizens Advice (
The citizens Advice service helps people resolve their legal, money and other problems by providing free, independent and confidential advice. Look in yellow pages for your local CAB centre.
Counsel and Care (
Help and advice for older people, their families and carers.
Tel: 0845 300 7585
First Stop Care Advice (
An independent, free advice and information service on all aspects of care and support for older people.
Tel: 0800 377 7070
Help the Aged (
Everything to do with care homes.
Tel: 020 7278 1114
Shop for Support (
Scope UK (
My Budget Brokerage (
Places for People (

Your local voluntary services council and your local council will also have a list of organisations that can help.

How much do you charge?
This varies from individual to individual. In some circumstances we do charge what is known as a third-party-top-up. We do this because we are committed to providing excellent care and the "top-up" charge goes straight back into the homes. We are always happy to talk to families on an individual basis regarding fee setting.

Do you take Local Authority and NHS funded residents?
Yes, we are delighted to take local authority, NHS and private funded residents into our homes. However, it is important to emphasise that everyone is assessed individually according to their needs. Again, we may sometimes charge a third-party-top-up where appropriate.

What is the procedure for a complaint?
We have a rigorous complaints procedure in place. Our procedure is on display in all of our care centres. Please ask any of our Managers for a written copy of the procedure if you require and to clarify any concerns you have. We would ALWAYS rather that you mentioned something, no matter how small. If you don’t tell us we can’t deal with it! If you do not feel comfortable in approaching the Manager concerned you can fill in the "contact us" form on this website.

When Can I visit?
All of our care centres are available for visits at any time. However, if you want to speak direct to a manager it is sometimes best to give us a call in advance as they can then ensure they are available.


Our Homes

  • Anston Brook House
  • Waterside Grange
  • Wood Hill Grange
  • Wood Hill House
  • Wood Hill View

Keep up with the latest news from Horizon

Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Find us on Google+
Registered in England No. 6391494. Registered Address: Suite 1.16 Great House, Waterside Business Park, Off Rotherham Road, Dinnington, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England, S25 3QA